Wednesday, 20 November 2013

#23 - Dirty Dancing



As a teenager I was always a big fan of the Dirty dancing film and wouldn’t be able to count the number of times I watched it.  In fact it remains a good go to film for those moments when I want to watch an old favourite.

So when my friend told me they had a spare ticket for the theatre production and did I want it, it was a bit of an “Is the Pope Catholic?” question!  I jumped at the chance!  We went out for a meal first and then fought our way through the early evening London crowds to the Piccadilly theatre.  It isn’t often I splash out on a programme but decided to this time, especially since my joining the group was at very short notice so I hadn’t had much time for internet research into the production.  I was expecting some stage interpretations – after all what works on film can’t necessarily work in the same way on stage.  But it was a surprise reading through the programme to discover that the production had actually added a number of their own songs as well.  Thankfully most of the well-loved songs and the classic lines were left in.


As a production I found it a little disappointing.  Of course it was a favourite film and so watching another version of it in a different format can always be dangerous.  Equally trying to fit actors into those iconic roles of Jonny and Baby was never going to be an easy task.  I didn’t get the same lift that I get from the film and didn’t feel the same connection to the characters.  Jill Winternitz did a great job as Baby, but Paul-Michael Jones just didn’t look enough the part of Jonny.  He was a great actor but he just didn’t have that Swayze factor.

Slightly disappointing as a production but a fun night out all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment